Satya Nadella appointed as Chairman of Microsoft
Microsoft Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Satya Nadella has been named as the Chairman in place of John Thompson. Satya Nadella took over from Steve Balmer as Microsoft’s CEO in 2014. He has been instrumental in massively scaling up Microsoft’s business. He was heavily involved in the billion dollar acquisitions of LinkedIn, Nuance Communications and ZeniMax.
John Thompson had taken over from Bill Gates as the Chairman just over a year back when Bill Gates stepped back to focus more on philanthropic activities through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. John Thompson would now be serving as an lead independent director.
Satya Nadella’s Meteoric Rise
Satya Nadella is an Indian American business man who had started his career in Sun Microsystems before moving onto Microsoft. His Microsoft journey started in 1992. He has held several prestigious positions during his long career in Microsoft. Some of them are :
- President of the Server & Tools Division (9 February 2011 – February 2014)
- Senior Vice-President of Research and Development for the Online Services Division (March 2007 – February 2011)
- Vice-President of the Business Division
- Corporate Vice-President of Business Solutions and Search & Advertising Platform Group
- Executive Vice-President of Cloud and Enterprise group
Microsoft’s performance under Satya Nadella
Microsoft has seen a stellar rise under Satya Nadella. The share price has multiplied by almost 7 times in the 7 years he has served as CEO. This additional responsibility has been bestowed upon Nadella basis this impressive performance. Hopefully the continues to grow at this rapid pace under his Chairmanship now.
Other articles related to Microsoft: